A terrifying collection of classic Victorian short stories about ghosts, werewolves and vampires.
- The Wolf Book by Henry Chapman Mercer
- Number Ninety by B. M. Croker
- Ken's Mystery by Julian Hawthorne
- The Piano Next Door by Elia W. Peattie
- The White Wolf of the Hartz Mountains by Frederick Marryat
- The Horla by Guy de Maupassant
- Absolute Evil by Julian Hawthorne
- Mrs. Amworth by E. F. Benson
- The Ghost Club by John Kendrick Bangs
- A Pastoral Horror by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Ghost at the Blue Dragon by William J. Wintle
- The Death of Halpin Frayser by Ambrose Bierce
- The Other Side by Count Eric Stanislaus Stenbock
- Good Lady Ducayne by Mary E. Braddon
- The Dolls' Castle by Henry Chapman Mercer
- The Mark of the Beast by Rudyard Kipling
- Count Magnus by M. R. James
- The Wolf by Guy de Maupassant
- The Sad Story of a Vampire by Count Eric Stanislaus Stenbock
- To Let by B. M. Croker
- The Striding Place by Gertrude Atherton
- The White Dog by Fedor Sologub
- Will by Vincent O'Sullivan
- The Cold Embrace by Mary E. Braddon
- The Diary of Mr. Poynter by M. R. James
- Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker
- The Black Dog by Stephen Crane
- The Devil of the Marsh by H. B. Marriott-Watson
- Room Number Ten by Bessie Kyffin-Taylor
- Pomegranate Seed by Edith Wharton...and more spinechilling tales....
Ce que les membres d'Audible en pensent
A compelling book--frustrating narration
This is a solid collection of familiar classics and somewhat more obscure tales. Most are engaging and a few stand out as especially evocative, eerie, and gripping.
Dobson's narration is frustrating. She adopts a perhaps overly portentous voice that sounds like she's narrating a "This week on Random TV Show..." and doesn't really do accents. However, given that most of these stories are first person accounts, that didn't bother me as much as I expected. By the end, I didn't mind it. Still, it will be a deal breaker for many people, I suspect.
Overall, a worthy buy if using a monthly credit, especially given both the overall pricetag of this book and the wealth of content therein. But be sure to listen to the preview first.
6 sur 6 personne(s) ont trouvé cet avis utile.
Great stories. . . .not so great narrator
Great collection with some I've never read before and I have read quite a lot. How have I missed "The Ghost Club" all these years! The only problem I have is with the narrator Cathy Dobson. I thought her strange inflection was her attempt to enhance the material--that lurid drawl her way of injecting some additional drama into the stories, so I checked samples of other books she narrates and she does them the same way. Do you supposed she speaks like this in real life?
1 sur 1 personne(s) ont trouvé cet avis utile.
the woman's voice will annoy you
most of the stories were good. That's all up to your personal taste . Narrator had a strange habit of emphasizing the last word of each sentence.
5 sur 7 personne(s) ont trouvé cet avis utile.
- William C.
Good Compilation. Performance Lacking.
Good compilation of stories by many masters. The reading was rough though especially in the beginning few stories. Maybe I just got used to her voice, but the oratory did seem to get better as the stories progressed. I almost quit a couple hours in, but I completed the audiobook.
Not recommended because of narrator
What disappointed you about Ghosts, Werewolves and Vampires?
I found Cathy Dobson's reading style extremely off-putting. Her enunciation is very mannered and unnatural. Perhaps her intention is to create an atmosphere of dread with these supernatural stories, but i really could not endure her voice. I should have returned the book
What did you like best about this story?
the quality of the stories is good
What didn’t you like about Cathy Dobson’s performance?
Weird and pretentious reading style
You didn’t love this book... but did it have any redeeming qualities?
there's nothing wrong with the content - the stories are well-chosen classics
Any additional comments?
I would never again choose anything by this reader
2 sur 5 personne(s) ont trouvé cet avis utile.